Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Perfect Day To Go Collecting

Even though it was late October it was turning into a beautiful day. Low tide was around 12:30 PM and the surf was up. How many more days would there be like this? I certainly wasn't going to waste it so off I went to one of my favorite sea glass collecting spots.

This spot is located in lower Narragansett Bay where there is almost always surf. This lends itself to sea glass that is generally well conditioned with rounded edges. The surf was a little stronger than I thought it would be. Instead of walking along the low tide line I had to run back and forth along the rocks as the waves rushed in and receded. Unfortunately, being so late in the season, I didn't bring my swimsuit. While trying to take some pictures I had to work quickly, keeping one eye on the surf, so I didn't get surprised by a wave.

This secret collelocation usually yields more of the common sea glass colors associated with an area where people would go to socialize. Thus I would expect to find mostly the greens, browns and whites of various beer, wine and liquor bottles. Occasionally I would locate a quality sea foam green or even a cobalt blue.

Most of the glass I found was quite small although there were one or two pieces that were of good size including a thick and elongated light aqua piece of glass.

I also collected some sea brick for my garden. It makes a colorful contrast to the green foliage.

After about an hour and a half I was ready to call it quits for the day. I had plenty of other projects that needed my attention. 

As you see from the picture on the right, it wasn't a bad day at the beach. There were a few well conditioned whites, greens and even some aqua sea glass. I even found a few very small cobalt blues!

Take care and happy hunting!
Gary de Blois

Catch of the Day
A thick, elongated light aqua piece of sea glass.

 

No comments: