Monday, October 27, 2008

Sea Glassing In the Upper Bay

Yesterday was a windy day, full of surf, and it made for a successful sea glass collecting adventure in the lower Narragansett Bay, RI. Today, I decided to see what may have turned up in the upper bay.

Because the upper bay generally doesn't have as much surf as the lower bay, sea glass is usually less conditioned, keeping more of its original shape. This can make it easier to guess the origins of the shard but makes a piece less desirable for jewelry. These pieces of sea glass are probably more appropriate for a craft project such as candle holders and mobiles, or just to add to your collection of interesting shards. Sea glass found in the upper regions would have to be in the water a long time before it acquires that frosty, pitted look that is so desirable.

Well, it didn't take long to find out that I made the right decision on where to look. Almost immediately, as I stepped onto the beach, I found this beautiful sun-colored amethyst sea glass stopper! Unbelievable! I have never found a stopper of this color. Usually I get the light aqua or light green types.

It didn't end there. Right near where I found the stopper was this tri-colored sea glass marble. You just never know what a windy day will leave on the beach!



Along with these beautiful treasures I also found some bottle necks and pottery shards along with some common sea glass colored pieces.




All in all another fine day to take a walk on the beach and treasure hunt!

Take care and happy hunting!
Gary de Blois



Catch of the Day
A beautiful, sun-colored amethyst sea glass stopper!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this website...thanks for providing an online Sea Glass magazine. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a beautiful find! I am jealous!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Gary,
It's Jayne here in Monterey,Calif...Just love your bottle stopper find...spent some time with you at the LaMotte's Sun. and on the Henlopen State beach on Mon.After the festival.I've been beachin' since I got home but am waiting for next week for the minus tides.Where will you be? Have fun,Jayne

Anonymous said...

Hi Jayne!
Stuck back here on the east coast. Just trying to get some more content to post to my site. Glad to here from you. Please let me know what you find!
Gary

Tara Beaulieu said...

Wow! I am searching in the wrong spots on the Bay apparently- I have never found anything remotely as cool as these pieces! I am thrilled just to find a speck of cobalt, nevermind the stopper and the marble!